Galbani Ricotta - Short Rib Pasta with Lemon Ricotta


This recipe emanated out of the fact that I love ricotta, short ribs, simplicity and yes even love my job!  I would never admit that aloud to my higher ups but yes.  I love where I work, what I do for other's and our product.  The fact that I could just shop before heading home from work for most all I need for most dishes I plan to cook.
Voila 'Short Rib Pasta with Lemon Ricotta'. 
Ricotta is a Italian 'whey' cheese made from sheep, cow, goat or Buffala milk whey left over from the production of other cheeses.  'Galbani' brand is well known in Italy but I'm guessing we are producing here in the good old USA via Lactalis American Group out of Buffalo NY.   'Galbani' offers many different cheeses to the US market.  Great quality and at a reasonable price.


Ricotta over all holds a special place in my heart.  I don't think it was sold in grocery stores in the 70's where I was raised.  We only could get it from Italian Market's/Deli in town.  I would always traipse in with my Mother and Mr. Gagliano would always offer me ricotta mixed with home made jam, fresh berries or even shaved chocolate over a toasted piece of Italian bread as my mother shopped.

So let's get started with this super simple and delicious recipe!

  • 2.5-3 lbs of short ribs - English short ribs if your butcher carries them.  
  • 1lb box of Orrechiette or whatever type pasta you desire.  
  • Broccolini - 2 bunches.
  • 5 garlic cloves.
  • 15oz tub of Galbani Ricotta.
  • 1 large fresh lemon for zesting and juice.
Pantry items:
  • Salt/Pepper
  • 4 tbsp.High heat cooking oil. 
  • 1 cup Red wine for de-glazing.  
LET'S DO THIS!
  1. Zest and juice the one large lemon.  Add this to the Ricotta in a bowl, mix then transfer back to the tub it came in for serving.  You will not use all of it for this dish, but you will have some leftover for toast, eggs, to put over a dessert.
  2. Salt and pepper GENEROUSLY your short ribs.  And set aside.  I happened to get English short ribs and our amazing butcher sawed them into 3rd's for me.  At mainstream grocery stores, usually short ribs are already cut like this.  
  • Wash broccolini and cut at the stems.  You still want some stalk to them.  So maybe 2 inches off the bottom. 
  • Peel and chop fresh garlic.   
  •  Heat oil in your cooking pot.  I like to use Le Creuset or other type Dutch Oven vessel as this will go into the oven later.

  1. Sear off the short ribs a few at a time or all at once if you can fit them all in your Dutch oven with some space between them all.  Start with meatier side down first and sear off for about 3-4 minutes then sear the bone side down for a bit over a minute.  Transfer to a plate when finished searing all the short ribs off.  
  2. Turn off heat and add your red wine to the pan and start to scrape all the bits off as the wine cooks off from the heat of the Dutch oven.    Add your short ribs back to the Dutch oven, COVER and put in the oven on 275 -300 for 1.5hours to 2.5.  Depending on where you live in the world, altitude, etc affects cooking.  Bottom line is they need to slow braise cook and you can check on them every hour as to where they are.  They should be tender pull away from the bone but NOT BURNED when done.  
  3. Once you know you are almost there with the short ribs, boil water and get your pasta going.  Remember to generously salt the water.  Cook to al dente and drain but do not rid of all the pasta water.  Leave about a few inches to the pot and add your broccolini.  You will just be flash poaching so the broccolini wakes up but still crisp.  About 3 minutes then drain.  
  4. Drizzle the drained broccolini and add a couple tbsp of olive oil, add chopped garlic and sautee until fragrant but not burnt.   Add pasta back to pot with broccolini and garlic and toss.  

When the short ribs are tender done you can remove the meat and chop and add or you can just serve up the ribs individually.  Dollop the awesome lemon ricotta on your dish and enjoy!
REMEMBER LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO EAT  BADLY!!


Comments